Protocol - Low Back Pain Disability Index
A 24-item, self-report questionnaire about how low back pain affects functional activities. This protocol asks the respondent to assess how they feel today.
It is acceptable to add boxes to indicate where patients should tick each item.
The questionnaire may be adapted for use online or by telephone.
When your back hurts, you may find it difficult to do some of the things you normally do.
This list contains sentences that people have used to describe themselves when they have back pain. When you read them, you may find that some stand out because they describe you today.
As you read the list, think of yourself today. When you read a sentence that describes you today, put a tick against it. If the sentence does not describe you, then leave the space blank and go on to the next one. Remember, only tick the sentence if you are sure it describes you today.
- I stay at home most of the time because of my back.
- I change position frequently to try and get my back comfortable.
- I walk more slowly than usual because of my back.
- Because of my back, I am not doing any of the jobs that I usually do around the house.
- Because of my back, I use a handrail to get upstairs.
- Because of my back, I lie down to rest more often.
- Because of my back, I have to hold on to something to get out of an easy chair.
- Because of my back, I try to get other people to do things for me.
- I get dressed more slowly than usual because of my back.
- I only stand for short periods of time because of my back.
- Because of my back, I try not to bend or kneel down.
- I find it difficult to get out of a chair because of my back.
- My back is painful almost all the time.
- I find it difficult to turn over in bed because of my back.
- My appetite is not very good because of my back pain.
- I have trouble putting on my socks (or stockings) because of the pain in my back.
- I only walk short distances because of my back.
- I sleep less well because of my back.
- Because of my back pain, I get dressed with help from someone else.
- I sit down for most of the day because of my back.
- I avoid heavy jobs around the house because of my back.
- Because of my back pain, I am more irritable and bad tempered with people than usual.
- Because of my back, I go upstairs more slowly than usual.
- I stay in bed most of the time because of my back.
The score of the RMDQ is the total number of items checked—i.e., from a minimum of 0 to a maximum of 24.
Personnel and Training Required
|Specialized requirements for biospecimen collection||No|
|Average time of greater than 15 minutes in an unaffected individual||No|
Mode of Administration
Adolescent, Adult, Senior, Pregnancy
Patients with mild to moderate disability due to acute, sub-acute, or chronic low back pain.
The Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire is specific to low back pain and correlates well with other tests which measure physical disability, including the following:
- Physical subscales of 36-Item Short Form Survey
- Physical subscales of Sickness Impact Profile
- Quebec Low Back Scale
- Oswestry Disability Questionnaire
- Pain ratings
Chinese, English, Spanish
Process and Review
Protocol Name from Source
Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire (RMDQ)
Roland, M., & Morris, R. (1983). A study of the natural history of back pain: Part 1: Development of a reliable and sensitive measure of disability in low-back pain. Spine, 8(2), 141–144. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198303000-00004
Chiarotto, A., Mexwell, L. J., Terwee, C. B., Wells, G. A., Tugwell, P., & Ostelo, R. W. (2016). Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire and Oswestry Disability Index: Which has better measurement properties for measuring physical functioning in nonspecific low back pain? Systematic review and meta-analysis. Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Journal, 96(10),1620–1637. https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20150420
Davies, C. C., & Nitz, A. J. (2009). Psychometric properties of the Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire compared to the Oswestry Disability Index: a systematic review. Physical Therapy Reviews, 14(6), 399–408. https://doi.org/10.1179/108331909X12540993898134
Macedo, L. G., Maher, C. G., Latimer, J., Hancock, M. J., Machado, L. A. C., & McAuley, J. H. (2011). Responsiveness of the 24-, 18- and 11-item versions of the Roland Morris Disability Questionnaire. European Spine Journal, 20(3), 458–463. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-010-1608-2
Roland, M., & Fairbank, J. (2000). The Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire and the Oswestry Disability Questionnaire. Spine, 25(24), 3115–3124. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200012150-00006
|Variable Name||Variable ID||Variable Description||dbGaP Mapping|
|PX171601150000||My appetite is not very good because of my more||N/A|
|PX171601210000||I avoid heavy jobs around the house because more||N/A|
|PX171601020000||I change position frequently to try and get more||N/A|
|PX171601120000||I find it difficult to get out of a chair more||N/A|
|PX171601140000||I find it difficult to turn over in bed more||N/A|
|PX171601090000||I get dressed more slowly than usual because more||N/A|
|PX171601190000||Because of my back pain, I get dressed with more||N/A|
|PX171601080000||Because of my back, I try to get other more||N/A|
|PX171601230000||Because of my back, I go upstairs more more||N/A|
|PX171601070000||Because of my back, I have to hold on to more||N/A|
|PX171601220000||Because of my back pain, I am more irritable more||N/A|
|PX171601060000||Because of my back, I lie down to rest more often.||N/A|
|PX171601040000||Because of my back, I am not doing any of more||N/A|
|PX171601130000||My back is painful almost all the time.||N/A|
|PX171601200000||I sit down for most of the day because of my back.||N/A|
|PX171601180000||I sleep less well because of my back.||N/A|
|PX171601100000||I only stand for short periods of time more||N/A|
|PX171601240000||I stay in bed most of the time because of my back.||N/A|
|PX171601010000||I stay at home most of the time because of more||N/A|
|PX171601160000||I have trouble putting on my socks (or more||N/A|
|PX171601110000||Because of my back, I try not to bend or more||N/A|
|PX171601050000||Because of my back, I use a handrail to get more||N/A|
|PX171601170000||I only walk short distances because of my back.||N/A|
|PX171601030000||I walk more slowly than usual because of my back.||N/A|
Low Back Pain Disability Index
October 21, 2022
A questionnaire assessing low back pain.
The Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire is designed to assess self-rated physical disability caused by low back pain.
low back pain disability index, activities of daily living, pain, functional mobility, bone and joint, pain management, patient reported outcomes
|Protocol ID||Protocol Name|
|171601||Low Back Pain Disability Index|
There are no publications listed for this protocol.